Designed by architect Ze'ev Rechter, Engel House erected
in 1933 on the corner of Rothschild Boulevard and Mazeh Street is
a residential building typical of the International Style in Tel Aviv.
The building extends in the shape of a bottomless rectangle (?), with
a courtyard facing Mazeh Street lying in-between its side borders:
The side facing Rothschild Boulevard is raised on pillars, so that
the inner courtyard relates to the boulevard as well. This is the
first residential building in Tel Aviv supported on pilotis.
Elevating the building on pillars created underneath a shaded and
protected public space, linked to the street, thus expanding its area
and allowing airflow (winds). Among the features of the new architecture
as defined by Le Corbusier, pilotis were well-absorbed in Tel Aviv
and its area.